Almost every person I speak to starts the conversation with: “My doctor is useless and I’m so frustrated.”
The common reasons to this comment are:
- they don’t listen to what we have to say
- they dismiss our symptoms, give us anti-depressants, and ask us to eat less and exercise more
- they refuse to test us for more than TSH and T4
- they just want us to take thyroid medication
- they offer no explanation why our thyroids are out of balance.
Integrative doctor listings and directories
There is good news. There are doctors who can help. I want to offer you this hope and empower you with this knowledge.
Here are some good go-to resources that will help you find a better physician. And yes, many of them do take insurance.
Take a look at these resources that many of my clients found very helpful:
1. American College for Advancement in Medicine: http://acam.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=1758
2. American Association of Naturopathic Physicians: http://www.naturopathic.org/AF_MemberDirectory.asp?version=1
3. Institute for Functional Medicine: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117#results
4. Paleo Physicians Network: http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/
5. American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine, Physician Locator: http://www.abihm.org/search-doctors
6. ThyroidChange list (US, Canada and Australia): http://www.thyroidchange.org/list-of-doctors.html
One more great trick I want to offer you.
If you are still in no luck to find a doctor, go to your local compounding pharmacy and ask them for a list of doctors who are their customers. We find that often times, doctors who are willing to work with compounded (it means custom-made for you) thyroid replacement therapy are more open minded and progressive. There is hope.
If you do your homework, you also stand a much better chance to find the right support system.
Order tests yourself
You can order thyroid tests yourself. Most people do not know that. You can do so by going to Direct Labs or you can order the panels Direct Labs designed for us. (It works out cheaper.) – You can see the testing options here. They cover more than just TSH and T4 – you will get the full spectrum of results which you need to know to manage your thyroid and Hashimoto’s.
I hope you find it helpful!