My friend David is on a health mission lately and he’s going about it the caveman way. Paleo.
I’ve promised to help him learn how to cook and get started with a few easy, yummy paleo recipes that he picked. This was one of them: apparently cavemen would pick cauliflower over rice. I was curious, open and fascinated that replacements can be that creative and… we ended up very pleased at how this turned out.
Since I’ve been working a lot lately with the GAPS diet (which is also grain-free), this is a perfect solution if you feel like you miss your grains. Even if you don’t, it’s just a perfect base for any stew, meat or sautéd veggies. Overall, it is an excellent recipe for hormone health.
Serve it for breakfast, serve it with stews, meats, vegetable side dishes; just they way you would eat potatoes, rice and other grains. Just this time, like the caveman. Go easy on it if you have hypothyroidism and go for it if you have hyperthyroidism!
- 1 cauliflower head
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil
- a bunch of parsley
- optional: cumin seeds, basil, rosemary, etc.
- Grate the cauliflower to rice-grain (or smaller) size
- Melt ghee or coconut oil in a saute pan
- Add cumin seeds, if using them and let them get fragrant (but not burned) in the hot oil
- Stir in the cauliflower and cover for 5-7 minutes or till it starts softening
- Take the cover off and let it cook a while longer, stirring and letting it get a little drier