If you’re looking for a fantastic snack before bed that’s loaded with good taste – and good health benefits – look no further than this savory concoction.
The ingredients that comprise 5-spice powder are cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and Sichuan peppercorns.
And they all bring their own star power to the party.
Cinnamon is fantastic for women experiencing infertility issues because it helps to regulate hormonal balance.
Cloves have a concentrated amount of eugenol, which is a great anti-inflammatory.
Star anise has antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant properties, all wrapped up in a warm licorice flavor.
Sichuan peppercorns are a wonderful (and flavorful) source of vitamin A, carotenes, and several metals. They also help aid digestion. These “peppercorns” aren’t actually peppercorns; they’re actually a type of berry from the Chinese prickly ash tree. If you have a hard time finding Sichuan peppercorns, you can substitute black peppercorns instead.
This recipe will make more 5-spice than you’ll need for just this snack, but it’s worth it to make a batch for other uses. (It’s wonderful on meat or in sauces, soups, and vinaigrettes.) I always keep some on hand.
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground star anise
- 1 tablespoon ground Sichuan peppercorns - where to buy
- ¼ teaspoon ground sea salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup golden flax seed
- ½ cup pepitas
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Stir the ground cinnamon, cloves, star anise and Sichuan peppercorns together in a small bowl, with sea salt if desired.
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss the flax seeds and pepitas together with the olive oil.
- Add 2 ½ teaspoons of 5-spice powder to the pan, and stir well.
- Bake for 7 minutes and remove from the oven.
- Stir and bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until the mixture is lightly toasted.
- Let cool and keep in a jar with a tight fitting lid for up to 1 week.