How to Use Seed Rotation to Rebalance Your Hormones

Not often do we read about food helping to correct hormonal imbalances. In fact, when we hear the words “hormonal problems,” we are conditioned to think of solutions not extending much further than birth control pills, hormone creams and pellets.

Supporting the old mantra of “food is your medicine,” this article shows how innocent seeds can help regulate and support our menstrual cycle.

The technique is called “seed rotation,” and can be used to boost estrogen levels in the first part of our cycle and progesterone levels in the second part.

Who is this for?

The technique described here is based on a 30-day cycle.

Which seeds should be used in what part of the cycle?

Peri-menopausal and menopausal women can start any day and rotate the seeds every two weeks.

Pre-menopausal women who are still menstruating have different needs: From Day 1 to Day 15 (or the middle of the cycle), we need more estrogen in order to build up our endometrium (uterine lining). This is called the follicular phase. Seeds such as flaxseed and pumpkin seeds, one tablespoon each per day, can naturally increase your estrogen levels.

From Day 15 to Day 30, or the second part of the cycle (also known as the luteal phase), the corpus luteum begins to release progesterone. This sex hormone will help thicken the uterine lining and prepare it for implantation.

The high content of zinc in sesame seeds and vitamin E in sunflower seeds have been shown to stimulate progesterone production (see references below). By adding one tablespoon of sesame seeds and one tablespoon of sunflower seeds per day in the luteal phase, we can naturally support the body to produce more progesterone, a sex hormone of which many women experience low levels.

Related Link: “How to Use Food to Rebalance Hormones” – FREE Online Workshop

Click Here To Join My FREE Online Workshop - Cooking For Balance

What about women who do not menstruate or who are menopausal and postmenopausal?

If you do not have a cycle either because you are not menstruating or because you have entered perimenopause, menopause and you are in postmenopause, seed rotation can still help.

If you are pre-menopausal and not cycling, start the seed rotation any time you like and do two weeks of each seed rotation, as shown in the below chart.

If you have already entered menopause, you can start applying seed rotation any time you like and keep each seed combination (like flax seed and pumpkin) for one to two weeks, then switch to the other (like sunflower and sesame seeds).Seed rotation CFB

What does a balanced cycle look like?

Of course, being regular is one important factor, but there is much more to a balanced cycle beyond that. So many of us are accustomed to feeling terrible before our period (and some women in the mid-cycle or during ovulation as well) that we assume it is normal. It is not.

High estrogen (or estrogen metabolites) can be the cause of tender breasts, mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, fibroids, endometriosis, breast and ovarian cysts, and even breast and ovarian cancer.

Low progesterone levels can manifest in ways similar to the above, along with feeling anxious, not being able to fall or stay asleep, and menstrual headaches.Infertility and miscarriages can also be due to low progesterone levels.

Rebalancing your cycle using a simple food-based technique like seed rotation can help alleviate many of the symptoms in as little as one or two months.

In a perfectly healthy woman, the menstrual cycle and the estrogen/progesterone production will happen naturally with no help or intervention. This is, unfortunately, not the case for many women today. Excessive stress leading to excessive cortisol release, environmental toxins, poor diet, food sensitivities, digestive issues, and high coffee or alcohol consumption can all contribute to irregular or painful periods and even infertility.

Supporting the body with food that will help produce sufficient amounts of estrogen and progesterone is not only easy and cheap but also non-invasive. This is why this form of healing is preferred by practitioners who work with food as medicine – this method simply works, while still being gentle on the body.

Related Link: “How to Use Food to Rebalance Hormones” – FREE Online Workshop

Click Here To Join My FREE Online Workshop - Cooking For Balance

Why add more estrogens to our diet?

Many women worry that they are already experiencing estrogen dominance, so why add more estrogen in the form of phytoestrogens, such as flaxseed?

For this to be fully understood, we first need to establish that not all estrogens are “bad,” and the one that tends to be high in estrogen-dominant women is estradiol, also known as E2. Excessive levels of E2 have been linked to breast and prostate cancer. Flaxseed does not only suppress estradiol production, but it also nudges estradiol metabolism into a positive direction by generating a higher ratio of the protective metabolite 2-hydroxy-estrone versus the more harmful 16-hydroxy-estrone.

Easy ways of adding seed rotation to your diet

The easiest way to incorporate the seed combinations is by adding:

• In the Follicular Phase: adding ONE tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseed (do not use the pre-ground flax meal, it has little potency) and ONE tablespoon of pumpkin seeds. You can add them to salads, smoothies or just have it in water.
  • In the Luteal Phase: adding ONE tablespoon of sesame seeds and ONE tablespoon of sunflower seeds. You can add them to salads, smoothies or just have it in water.

Women in perimenopause and menopause: Start any day and do each seed rotation for 2 weeks.

Women with no periods: Start the flaxseed and pumpkin combo during the new moon (or crescent moon), this is when you should be getting your period. Or, start the sesame and sunflower combo during the full moon, this is when you should be ovulating, if tuned into the moon cycle.

Storage and potency

This food is medicinal in nature. It’s best to either freshly grind it daily, or pre-grind a batch for a week’s worth and keep it in a air-tight container, in the fridge.

Recipes using seed rotation

Another way to ensure regular seed consumption is by making your own seed crackers. They can easily be baked in a regular oven or prepared with a dehydrator.

RECIPE: Estrogen-boosting crackers [oven method]

EstroBooster

Two tablespoons of flaxseed or pumpkin seeds per day have shown to help boost estrogen production. Pumpkin seeds are also known to be phytoestrogenic.

This can be equally valuable for menstruating women in the first part of the cycle (day 1 to 15, refer to the chart) as well as women going through peri- and menopause who would benefit from an estrogen boost.

This recipe is using an oven. If you have a dehydrator, feel free too use it and set it to 115F for 8 hours.

Estrogen Boosting Crackers

• 1 cup dried apples, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup roasted coconut flakes
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
How To Make
  1. Soak almonds for 12 hours.
  2. Soak flaxseed and pumpkin seeds in 3 cups of water for 2 hours.
  3. Preheat the oven to 150F or the lowest temperature your oven allows. The trick to keeping the temperature low (ideally in the range of 120 to 150F) is to leave the oven door ajar. This will prevent the crackers from burning and will create air circulation to dry the crackers.
  4. Strain all the excess water from the almonds and combine with all the remaining ingredients. Toss to mix them well.
  5. Line the baking tray with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly.
  6. Bake for 6 hours or until fully dried. It’s recommended to check your crackers regularly using the thermometer to be sure they are getting dried but not burned. If the oven gets too hot, just open the oven door slightly wider. I use a metal tool (like a can opener) to keep the oven door ajar. The second batch will be easier to make as you will know how to keep the oven temperature in the 120-150F range.
  7. These crackers store well for two weeks in an air-tight container.

More hormone-balancing Recipes

cooking4balance-website-2

To get more hormone-balancing recipes including Breakfasts, Snacks and Quick Meals, head over to Cooking for Balance.

Medical References

“Zinc-induced changes in the progesterone binding properties of the human endometrium,” European Society of Endocrinology

“Effect of dl-α-tocopherol acetate on progesterone metabolism,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

“Effect of dietary components, including lignans and phytoestrogens, on enterohepatic circulation and liver metabolism of estrogens and on sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG),” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry

“Effects of phytoestrogen extracts isolated from pumpkin seeds on estradiol production and ER/PR expression in breast cancer and trophoblast tumor cells,” Nutrition and Cancer, Taylor Francis Group.

“Phytoestrogens: the “natural” selective estrogen receptor modulators?” European Journal of Gynecology and Reproductive Biology

Thyroid Diet Starter Kit

Join the discussion 104 Comments

• Cev says:

This might be a silly question. Should the pumpkin seeds be whole or shelled? I’m assuming the sunflower seeds should be shelled. 🙂

• Megan Nichols says:

Hi Cev!
      Both the pumpkin and sunflower seeds should be shelled & presoaked.

We love all questions – please never hesitate to ask. 🙂

• Kelly says:

Hi! Recent tests show I am very low in both estrogen and progesterone. Plus, my cycles are 70+ days. Should I start the seed protocol as described? Thank you!

• Magdalena Wszelaki says:

Yes, absolutely, it is such an non-invasive and safe way to help your body produce sufficient Pg and Est (which you are deficient in, this is why your cycle is so long).

• Jennifer says:

Hi Magdalena, If my cycle has been running longer than 30 days, should I do the seed rotation by the number of days in my cycle cut in half, or should I do 15 days of each? Also, can you recommend a good substitute for sesame which I’m sensitive to? Thanks!

• Stephania says:

1. How does one rotate if one is post-menopausal, please? thx! (haven’t even read most of your article–when this question is answered, it will make sense) 2. how about seed butters? eg. sunflower butter, tahini, etc–i get them raw and/or make them myself from soaked seeds (organic ones, of course!)

• Magdalena Wszelaki says:

In post-menopause you can rotate them every week or two. Seed butters are great, too. Great question!

• Laurie says:

I am post menopausal as well and I follow the new moon cycle. It helps to keep me on track as to where I am.

• Shalini says:

This means in the second phase of the cycle I should not be taking Flax seeds and Sunflower seeds and visa versa.

• Laura says:

how much evening primrose oil during days 15-30?

• leann says:

What is a practical way to soak all these seeds before you grind and eat them?

• Amie says:

During pregnancy, would you suggest to stop rotating and focus on progesterone boosters?

• Cev says:

Hi Megan,
    We are TTC and hoping this is our month. I’ve been seed cycling for a couple months now and would like to know what is recommended during pregnancy. Should I continue with the progesterone boosters?
    Thank you!

• Charlene says:

I had to have breast reduction earlier this year and am so afraid my breasts are growing again 5 months after the surgery. Have not gained or lost any weight but this must be hormonal imbalance. Also have no thyroid since 2001 and take Nature-throid for it.

• Ellian says:

This sounds interesting I am 61 and diagnosed with Hashimotos 2 years ago. I believe it was hormones that eventually kicked off the disease. I am sensitive to sunflower and sesame seeds, but eat pumpkin seeds almost every day and flax seeds 3-4 times per week. Is there anything I can eat in place of the sesame and sunflower?.

• jan says:

How do you prepare your seeds. I understand they are more easily digested if they are soaked and dehydrated again or sprouted. Let me know. Thanks, Jan

• Janita says:

I take dim plus and bio-identical progesterone. I am peri menopausal. She I go off those if I start the seed rotation diet. If I don’t take them I have super heavy periods and irritability.

• Stephanie says:

if I have an IUD (Mirena) should i ditch it ASAP??

• Krisann says:

I am menopausal for 3 years . I am in desperate need of this protocol. I tried it one month and spotted for a several days so I discontinued! How do I use the seed rotation to help with anxiety, energy, horrible sleep patterns, mood, and overall well being in menopause, without encouraging spotting? My symptoms have lead me to try lots of supplements but they all haven’t worked in some form for me.

• Allie says:

I am post menopausal and my ovaries were removed due to tumors from appendiceal cancer. I also had breast cancer. Will this seed rotation work for me? Are estrogen and produced anywhere other than the ovaries?

• Rachel Minneapolis says:

Would chia seeds work in place of flax seeds?

Also, for women like me and my sister who have strong mood shifts on the first drop in estrogen just after ovulation, would taking all the seeds for a couple of days help to bridge the gap? I’m worried that stopping the estrogen supporting foods, right at the time when estrogen is about to plunge and cause problems, will just make it worse. It’s the days in the estrogen valley that we are affected by the most.

Again in the second drop in estrogen, coupled with drop in progesterone, during the PMS time (last 3 days of cycle) we also get very moody/emotional. During that time seed rotation would have us eating Pg enhancing seeds. But it seems like having some estrogen foods at that time would also be helpful, due to the drop in estrogen.

• Kathryn says:

I”m post menapausal and blood tests show 0 progesterone in my system. I ‘m allergic to flax seeds pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Any suggestions of alternative foods that might help? Had a hysterectomy due to fibroids at age 34 left one ovary and tube at that time.

• Debra says:

I was diagnosed with breast cancer this Feb. that is both 90 percent estrogen AND progesterone sensitive . . . even though I’m in menopause. I read your response on the theory of bad estrogen. What about progesterone? Also, I always thought estrogen and progesterone had a see-saw effect on one another. What’s the deal with someone like me who is sensitive to BOTH?

• Theresa says:

Does the seed rotation work the same if you had a hysterectomy?

• Wendy says:

I know this is an old post but I was curious if you’d ever gotten a reply? I had a complete hysterectomy even years ago (removed it all) and would love some balance. Thanks!

• Lisa says:

Hi Wendy: thanks for your question. Yes, the rotation works the same for you.

Warmly,
        Lisa
        Customer Support

• ana says:

Hi, what about the recipe for the other part of the cicle , the progesterone one ? Thanks

• […] Reading: How to use seed rotation to rebalance your menstrual cycle? by Certified Nutrition Coach Magdalene […]

• denise says:

so during days 15-30 do you continue to use the estrogen sides while adding the ones for progesterone balance???? thanks!

• Mary Lou Lawrence says:

Is this all for post menopause and post hysterectomy women, age 62?

• Deanna Shank says:

This technique can be used by anyone who is experiencing irregular periods, heavy flows, substantial PMS, and even women going through peri-menopause and menopause. Yes 62 year olds fit this too 🙂

• Saundra says:

How much of the crackers do you need every day. Also Do you use whole seeds or do you grind them. If so do you grind them before or after soaking? Also do you have a recipe for the sunflower sesame seeds or do you just switch the seeds out with the pumpkin and flax seeds. Thank you! 🙂

• Deanna Shank says:

It makes 20 crackers and you can eat one 1-2 a day. They will keep in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks. You do not need to grind and yes you can.
      soak them. There is a slight variation for the progesterone crackers.

The Seed Rotation Diet: How to Regulate Your Menstrual Cycle with Food
      BY MAGDALENA WSZELAKI

(9) comments
      Not often do we read about food helping hormonal imbalances. In fact, when we hear the word “hormonal problems”, we are conditioned to think of solutions going no further than birth control pills, hormone creams and pallots.
      The technique is called “seed rotation.” The seed rotation diet can be used to boost our estrogen levels in the first part of our cycle and progesterone levels in the second part. This technique can be used by anyone who is either having irregular periods, periods that are heavy, experiencing heavy PMS and even women going through peri-menopause and menopause.
      What’s Your Skin Score?
      The technique described here is based on a 30-day cycle, though most women’s cycle tends to be between 25 to 36 days. Only 10 to 15% of women have cycles that are exactly 28 to 30 days. Day 1 is counted as the first day of a period.
      As an example, this article is based on a 30-day cycle.
      Click Here to Learn More About Magdalena
      Which Seeds to Use in What Part of the Cycle?
      Seed rotation
      From Day 1 to Day 15 (or the middle of your cycle), we need more estrogen in order to build up our endometrium (uterus lining). This is called the follicular phase. With seeds such as flaxseed and pumpkin seeds, we can naturally increase our estrogen levels.
      On Day 15 to Day 30, or the second part of the cycle also known as the luteal phase, we see the corpus luteum releasing progesterone. This sex hormone will help thicken the uterus lining and get it ready for implantation.
      The high content of zinc found in sesame seeds and vitamin E in sunflower seeds have shown to stimulate progesterone production (see references below). By adding two tablespoons of sesame and sunflower seeds per day in the luteal phase, we can naturally support the body to produce more progesterone (many women are low in this sex hormone).
      Click here to download the Seed Rotation Guide that illustrates this method.
      What Does a Balanced Cycle Look Like?
      Of course, being regular is one thing but there is more. So many of us are accustomed to feeling terrible before our period (and some women in the mid-cycle or during ovulation as well) that we assume it is “normal.” It is not.
      High estrogen (or estrogen metabolites) can be the cause of tender breasts, mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, fibroids, endometriosis, breast and ovarian cysts and even breast and ovarian cancer.
      Low progesterone levels can manifest in ways similar to the above (high estrogen) and also: feeling anxious, not being able to fall or stay asleep and menstrual headaches.
      Rebalancing your cycle using a simple and food-based technique like the seed rotation diet can help alleviate many of the symptoms in a matter of a few months.
      This is unfortunately not the case for many women today. Excessive stress (with excessive cortisol release), environmental toxins, poor diet, food sensitivities, digestive issues, high coffee or alcohol consumption – can contribute to irregular or painful periods and even infertility.
      Supporting the body with food that will help produce sufficient amount of estrogen and progesterone is not only easy and cheap but also non-invasive. This is why this form of healing is preferred by practitioners who work with food as medicine – this method simply works.
      Why Add More Estrogens to Our Diet?
      Many women worry that they are already experiencing estrogen dominance, so why add more estrogen in the form of phytoestrogens such as the flaxseed?
      For this to be fully understood, we first need to establish that not all estrogens are “bad” and the one that tends to be high in estrogen-dominant women is estradiol, also known as E2. Excessive levels of E2 have been linked to breast and prostate cancer. Here is a fascinating data point: flaxseed does not only suppress estradiol production but it also nudges estradiol metabolism into a positive direction by generating a higher ratio of the protective metabolite 2-hydroxy-estrone versus the more harmful 16-hydroxy-estrone.
      Easy Ways of Adding Seed Rotation to Your Diet
      One way to incorporate seed rotation on a regular basis is by making snacks out of seed crackers. They store well for a few weeks, are easy to make and come in super handy as travel food.
      Take a look at the below recipes: estrogen-boosting and progesterone-boosting crackers.
      Estrogen-Boosting Crackers [oven method]
      1 cup dried apples, roughly chopped
      1 cup roasted coconut flakes
      1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
      1 tablespoon curry powder
      1 teaspoon sea salt
      Directions:
      Soak almonds for 12 hours.
      Soak flaxseed and pumpkin seeds in 3 cups of water for 2 hours.
      Line the baking tray with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly.
      These crackers store well for two weeks in an air-tight container.
      Progesterone-Boosting Crackers [dehydrator method]
      This cracker is an ideal daily snack for women in the luteal phase (second part of the menstrual cycle which is about day 15 to 30) when progesterone production is essential to feeling healthy and calm.
      These crackers help mitigate PMS which can often be caused by excessive estrogen as compared to progesterone levels.
      Time to prepare: 20 minutes
      Time to soak: 12 hours
      Time to dehydrate: 8 hours
      Serves: 20 servings
      Equipment: dehydrator and parchment paper.
      Ingredients:
      1 cup almonds
      ¾ cup sunflower seeds
      1 cup sesame seeds
      1/3 cup chia seeds
      ¾ cup goji berries
      ½ cup pomegranate syrup (you can get it from Middle Eastern stores, Wholefoods or Amazon)
      1 teaspoon cardamom powder
      ½ teaspoon sea salt
      Directions:
      Soak almonds for 12 hours.
      Soak sunflower and sesame seeds for 4 hours.
      Soak chia seeds in 2 warm cups of water for 3-4 hours in a In a separate bowl.
      Strain all the excess water from the almonds and combine with in all the remaining ingredients. Toss to mix them well.
      Line the dehydrator trays with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly to 1/3 of an inch in thickness.
      Set the dehydrator to 115F, for 8 hours.
      These crackers store well for two weeks in an air-tight container.
      As you can see, food can also be used to rebalance our hormonal health and help us feel balanced and nourished. Hormonal imbalances in women are often times the underlying cause of weight struggles, depression, anxiety, infertility, miscarriages, hair loss and more.

• Cheryl says:

I haven’t received instructions for my starter kit yet. I’ve submitted my email address twice.

• Deanna Shank says:

Hi Cheryl, I ordered it for you. However, you need to confirm your email address. Check your spam/junk mail just in case. Let us know if you do not receive it. today.

• Rita B says:

Thank you for the article because I had a hysterectomy and I have gained so much weight and I’m going to use this to see if it helps with my diet and taking off some of the weight thanks

• Lisa says:

Thank you for this information! I’ve wondered for a few years what alternative is available for balancing hormones. This is enlightening and so very helpful….and doable!

• Tanya says:

I am allergic to tree nuts, is there an acceptable substitute for the almonds in the cracker recipes?

• Stacey says:

Does baking with these seeds change their hormone balancing properties? I sometimes use ground sunflower seeds instead of almond ‘flour’.

• Deanna says:

No, she does recommend to keep the temp low as not to burn. The healing properties are still present.

• Val says:

Will the seed rotation work for women that have had a hystorectomy and on bio identical hormones? If so should you use flax and pumpkin seeds for two week and then sesame and sunflower the next two weeks? Thanks, Val

• Rachel Minneapolis says:

SHORT CYCLES question: With a regular 25 day cycle and signs of estrogen dominance, should the seed rotation look like this?…

Let’s say we are 25 day cycle and want to lengthen toward a 28 day cycle. Right now, Day 1 begins with pink spotting and takes 3 days of very low spotting before a real period begins. (but, yes, the total cycle is still 25 days, consistently.)

Day 15, start the sesame and sunflower for a full 14 days even when the pink spotting of “day 1” shows up? So, now we are taking the sunflower/sesame on Days 1-3 in order to complete the previous cycle. Then day 4 -14 we take the flax/pumpkin. This is 11 days of the flax and pumpkin. Start sesame/sunflower again on day 14 for a full 14 days, even if pink spotting comes early again.

• Stacey says:

Hi Rachel, my cycles are similar to yours. Clarification for seed rotation in this case would be great.

• Deanna Shank says:

Hi Rachel,
        Start at spotting and switch at day 13…next month switch at day 14. When the spotting starts again…switch back, even if it is early. See how that goes for you.

• Tina says:

Thanks! I am more like 21 days. Sometimes go 25 so I was curious on this as well. Sounds like cutting it in half and hopefully eventually getting to the 28 day normal cycle?

• Julie says:

How much Evening Primrose Oil should be taken along with sunflower and sesame seeds?

• Deanna Shank says:

Hi Julie,
      Follow the directions on the bottle of primrose oil and that will be good.

• Stacey says:

Pardon my ignorance, as I’m new to this whole “seed” thing. I LOVE the idea of seed rotation for hormone balance… I’ll try anything to curb the “crazies”. Do ALL seeds in this rotation need to be raw and soaked/sprouted? Also, can chia seed be used in place of flaxseed?

• Jill says:

May I suggest that dates of publications be included with your resources/ bibliography to give your article validity and professional form? You have done such great work.

• Jess says:

I had no period for 2 months I started seed cycling and had 2 within a month. I just started seeds with the moon cycle but should I follow my latest period which came on the new moon? It was a perfect period no symptoms whatsoever!!!

• […] with several different kinds of seeds, this high-fiber bread is a good option for if you are using seed rotation to help balance your […]

• […] Seeds can be used to balance your hormone levels by boosting estrogen in the first part of your menstrual cycle and progesterone in the second half. If you are going through menopause, start any day and do each cycle for 14 days. […]

• […] harmful metabolites. That explains why women who have their gallbladders removed often suffer from symptoms of estrogen dominance a few months after the […]

• Linda says:

Ok. I am confused… so if I start with seed rotation 1-15 and then start 2nd half of seed rotation and get my cycle on day 22. Do I continue with second half of seed rotation or do I go back to first seed rotation again? I have always been on a 22 to 24 day cycle. I am still pretty consistent even though I am almost 47.

• Tina says:

You sound like me. I am more like 21 days. Sometimes go 25 so I was curious on this as well. Sounds like cutting it in half and hopefully eventually getting to the 28 day normal cycle? From other posts it seems like if you start you should go back to the beginning seeds.

• Lisa says:

Hi Linda: I suggest you divide your 22 day cycle in half. The first half, take the appropriate rotation seeds and the last half, the appropriate seeds. I hope this helps!

Lisa
    Customer Support

• nh says:

hello,
    thank you for the excellent article. I always had my cycle 30 days apart but for the last 6 months. in the last 6 months, my cycles have become shorter with only 20 days apart. i have realized this is due to hormonal imbalance since i have started getting cystic acne which worsens after about 10-12 days of my first day of the cycle. my acne fully clears off by the 3rd or 4th day of the cycle and starts again by the 12th day or so. i have also been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s and not sure if that is causing the hormonal imbalance. but would like to get your opinion on fixing such hormonal imbalances. is this symptom of high estrogen or is this due to high progesterone? Will seed rotation help for regulating the cycles from 20 to 30 days?

• Denise says:

Are there any alternatives to sesame seeds? My daughter has a severe nut allergy, and this is one seed I cannot seem to find from a nut-free supplier (to avoid cross-contamination as apparently sesame seeds are often listed an allergen).

• […] unhealthy metabolites from estrogen out of your body. Instead, they stay in circulation, causing Estrogen Dominance. Your progesterone level is then too low to support normal menstrual function, promoting calm, […]

• Tina says:

With I believe flax seeds and sesame seeds I see choices of brown and golden. Does it matter?

• Allison says:

In the Cycle diagram, it describes all of the seeds as ground (w/ the exception of Evening Primrose Oil) but in the text she really only talks about grinding the flax seed. Is it necessary to consume all of these in ground form in order to get the full potency or can we consume pumpkin, sunflower, and sesame as whole seeds?

• Katherine says:

I am allergic to almonds. Is there anything that I can use in place of the almonds in the crackers?

• Carol says:

Be careful: Sesames seeds have been shown to reduce DHEA.

• Jennifer says:

As long as the seeds are soaked and dried, is it necessary to grind them all – or can I just grind the flax and sesame seeds?
    Thanks so much!

• Maggie Bordagaray says:

Hi! Thank you for sharing this. I am exactly backwards from the moon cycle. I start around the full moon. Should I reverse the seed rotation and or if I follow the moon cycle the way you have it listed now, flax and pumpkin starting tomorrow on the new moon, will it regulate my period to the moon cycle?

• deanna says:

Hi Maggie, My suggestion is to take the estrogen boosters on the 1st day of your period. Then, switch after the 14th day to the progesterone boosters. Most of the time, your body will naturally coordinate with the lunar pattern within a few cycles.

• Heather says:

Where do you purchase the seeds?

• Sarah Young says:

Hi there! I snack on almonds every day and I was wondering whether I need to stop snacking on them during the progesterone boosting phase? Thanks!

• Michelle Chapman says:

Hello! I’m enjoying your blog very much thank-you! Query, I started the seed rotation (I am in Peri) having skipped periods … I started when I had a cycle 2 weeks of the flax and pumpkin then started the sesame and sunflower (Luteal) However i guess because of peri I ‘m having a cycle mid cycle! Only at 19 days … do we continue our rotation if this happens? (a first for me!)
    Thank-you

• Angela says:

Hi Michelle, Yes continue the seed rotation in hopes that your body will “get with the program” and follow your lead.

• Vicky says:

Hi! thank you very much for your blog!
    Please, I have large uterine fibroids (the biggest is 13cm). It is ok to consume the estrogenic seeds in my case?
    thanks again!

• Julie says:

Hey!
    Love the info!
    How can I add this to my diet of I have 7 day period then like 5 off then get my period again? It seems like I ALWAYS have it.
    I am seeing a Dr and got testing done but won’t get the results for another few weeks. So I would love to start trying this!

Thanks so much!

• Julie McGinnis says:

Hi Julie,
      Thank you for sharing . Follow the seed rotation as if you have a regular cycle with day one and continue the plan. After that we suggest diving deeper into the Cooking for Balance Program to work on your hormone balance further.

• Angela Sidlo says:

Julie,
      Thank you for sharing. That must be frustrating to have such an irregular cycle. Begin the seed rotation on the first day of your period and keep following it for a 28 day cycle, switching seeds at day 14 even if you start your period before then. Keep a regular seed cycle to setoff you body begins to follow the seed cycle with you. Be patient with yourself and give yourself plenty of time for rest and relaxation like epsom salt baths and a regular bedtime schedule. I’m glad you are getting additional testing with your doctor too. All the best to you!

• Angela says:

You can try using the seeds on your next cycle and see how it goes. When you get your tests results back from your doctor you can dial in a new plan. It will be important to see what your test results are.

• Jen C says:

I’m going to give anything to raise my progesterone a try.

• Tonya says:

I’m 47 and haven’t had a period in 4 months. I don’t have any symptoms but concerned I’m going through menopause too early. I take hemp oil and mix with kefir and stevia and drink. It’s not too bad.

• Julie McGinnis says:

Hi Tonya,
      The seed rotation could be helpful in balancing your hormones and perhaps getting you back on track. It is hard to say what is occurring with your cycles but is normal to experience changes in the perimenopausal phase.

• Angela Sidlo says:

Tonya, Navigating perimenopause can be tricky. You can try using the seed rotation during this time to help your body through it. Let us know how it goes. Thank you for sharing.

• Michelle says:

Hi, I appreciate this info. My cycle was regular for years until about a year and a half ago when it shortened from 28-30 to 25 days. Then I had a month of almost daily bleeding then about a year back to normal then fir the last three months it’s been put of whack again. I had no true period last month only bleeding. Then had a real one two weeks ago with three days of no bleeding then started a light period. Since I’m so out of whack, when should I start the seed rotation? Thanks!

• Angela says:

Michelle,
      I’m sorry you are experiencing such difficulty with your cycle. I know that can be really frustrating. If it is that out of whack start the seed rotation on the new moon and begin to cycle it with a natural rotation of the moon. Lucky for you the new moon is coming up soon. I hope this is helpful.

• Monique says:

I’m 61 yrs old, still having hot flushes and several other menopausal issues.
    I want to start the seed rotation.
    So 2 weeks flax seed ground and pumpkin seed and then 2 weeks sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.

1 spoon of each every day.

How do I use the seeds, do I have to soak them, I have unshelled seeds, do I ground them

• Julie McGinnis says:

Hi Monique, Yes, grind the seeds and that is easier to do with raw seeds rather than soaked.

• Alison Chiheve says:

Hello

I have just started seed cycling (on day 3) and I wanted to ask about the other seeds that are a part of my usual routine-chia, hemp and poppy seeds. Can I continue taking them or will they disrupt the flow taht I am trying to create with the 4 seeds

• Robin says:

I tried to scan for the answer but didn’t see it. Is there another seed in place of sesame seeds, because of allergies? Thanks

• Sherri says:

HI, I started the seed rotation plan and I am entering my second month. I am allergic to flax and sesame so I am using pumpkin and sunflower seeds.

When I take the pumkin seeds…3 days in I feel great…no hot flashes and I sleep straight through the night.

When I take the sunflower seeds I have hot flases that are off the charts and up most of the night.

Should I just use the pumpkin seeds or do I need more time on the plan?

Not sure which way to go here….but those heat flashes and not sleeping are driving me crazy! lol!!!

Thank you!

• Angela Sidlo says:

Hi Sherri,
      I’m sorry you are still having some issues with hot flashes. Seed rotation is one way to help the body find balance. Keep giving it a try and work on some other aspects at the same time. Restoring the liver will help with the hot flashes too. Managing stress and keeping a good bedtime schedule is key for good sleep. If you are not doing it already, look into the cooking for balance program.
      Kindly, Angela – Hormones Balance Team

• Rowena says:

Hi what will i do i have thin endometrium, hope you can help me thank you

• Angela Sidlo says:

Hi Rowena,
      I hope you will join the program to learn how you can improve your health. We are here to support you.
      Warmly, Angela HB Team